Single: Sultans Of Swing
Year of Release: 1978
Country: England
Label: Vertigo
Catalogue number: 6059 206
[Tracklisting]
1. Sultans Of Swing (alternate version) 5:53
2. Eastbound Train (live) 3:27
Archive (RAR password: mccannonlabs)
[Review]
"After the recording of the first Dire Straits album at Basing Street Studios (February 13 – March 5, 1978), the results were played to Phonogram’s marketing people. Some of them thought that Sultans of Swing was too polished and smooth sounding for a single that is accepted by the radio, so they re-recorded this song on April 20 / 26, 1978, again at Pathway Studios. This single was released in some countries, among them England and Germany, while in others the album version was released (e.g. in the Netherlands or the US). This version features more distortion and compression, it indeed sounds more like rock music. It even appears to be a bit faster although it is practically not. It seems it was never released on CD" (source).
12 comments:
THanks a lot for this 45 !
I can't wait to hear this alternate version :)
thank you very much - lovely version
just came across your fine site recently...very many thanks and looking forward to May!
cheers
mmk
Beautiful rip, just great!
Thank you, McCannon
Greetings, I very much appreciate the work you've done on your vinyl rips. Many thanks. I would like to point out that the links on this page are currently scrambled - the Redbook link points to McCartney's Ram and the Hi-res link just reloads the page.
Thanks again.
Thank you Metagnathous, the links have been fixed.
all the best!
I'm very much obliged to you for this - you've replaced the single I had swiped at a party years ago (in London town!).
Thanks!
Hi McCannon. The pic sleeve shown is the Dutch copy, which does contain the single version of SOS, not the album version.
@Cas I replaced the pic sleeve, hopefully it's the english copy now. It does contain the single version of Sultans Of Swing.
all the best
---McCannon
Hi McCannon. The pic sleeve now showing is not the UK copy, but the French release. Never mind though, as the quality your needle drop of this is truly excellent, for which I'm very grateful. I do hope you will have access to the forthcoming double-7"of Dire Straits 1977 Honky Tonk Demos, containing 4 tracks, which will be available on RDS coming April 18th. Thanks again & best wishes.
@Cas
Thank you for your comment.
I'm trying to get a copy of the double-7" available on RDS.
If you send me a link to the proper UK artwork, I'll be glad to replace the wrong link. When I bought this English single, it came with a blank sleeve...
best regards
---McCannon
ty
Post a Comment