Notice


Disclaimer
This website does not contain copyrighted material.
See the sticky "All Archives" post to read more.

Notice
Should you encounter any issues with the website please give me a note via email using the "contact form" below
. In such cases please do not comment on the posts.

Update
"Phase 2" is over and I'm taking a break. My equipment (soundcard, cartridge and pc) needs to be upgraded.

Sunday, 10 May 2015

Beatles - Please Please Me (1963) [German "dry" Stereo Master]

Artist: The Beatles
Album: Please Please Me [German Stereo Master]

Year of Release: 1963
Country: Germany
Label: Apple/Electrola
Catalogue number: 1C 072-04219
Matrix codes: SHZE 117 A-2 04219-A-2 // SHZE 117 B-2 04219-B-2



[Tracklisting]
1. I Saw Her Standing There
2. Misery
3. Anna (Go To Him)
4. Chains
5. Boys
6. Ask Me Why
7. Please Please Me
8. Love Me Do
9. P.S. I Love You
10. Baby It's You
11. Do You Want To Know A Secret
12. A Taste Of Honey
13. There's A Place
14. Twist And Shout

Total running time: 33:19

[Review]
Here's a very nice transfer from my pristine late German stereo copy of "Please Please Me" (1977), with catalogue number Apple/Electrola 1C 072-04219. This was pressed from the famous "Die Beatles" stampers (dead wax information SHZE-117-A-2/B-2) and it has a unique mastering. The EQ and compressed LP cutting master was bypassed and the flat tape was used, so this specific German master lacks the extra EQ and compression which was applied to the UK master. Consequently some of the tracks have a less perceived reverb and a natural quality and it seems as though you’re there in the studio. As Steve Hoffman wrote in 2002 "the stereo tape copies that were made for Germany were made from the not Equalized and Compressed version; that is why the first album in stereo on Parlophone sounds so wonky and the German version sounds so much better (at least to our modern ears)" and "whenever I play I Saw Her Standing There for anyone from this disc, mouths usually drop open". My friend Prof Stoned wrote "It looks to me like this special cutting occurred due to ignoring the mastering instructions, rather than being transferred from some unprocessed work parts". In any case to my ears, for what it's worth, this rip sounds awesome.

10 comments:

Kurt said...

I've successfully gotten rips here before, but it isn't working for me this time. I'm getting the "temporarily unavailable" message. Any hints?

Kurt said...

Got it now. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Will you continue with the stereo catalog?

McCannon said...

@Anonymous
Thank you. The entire Blue Box series will be released in the future. The German Magical Mystery Tour and White Album will be released too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much McCannon.

The sound of this transfer of Please Please Me is the best of the ones that I have listening. I'm waiting for the 'Blue Box' and the others. Thank you.

Marco Antonio

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for this. Far better than any of the official remasters. This is the version I will listen to from now on. You can clearly hear the pain Lennon is in as he sings Twist and Shout.

Anonymous said...

Really great sounding title, thank you for that!
When will you start Publishing the "Blue Box"?

McCannon said...

Sorry but not anytime soon. I have other priorities in my life currently.
Thank you all for your comments.
---McCannon

Unknown said...

Are there links here somewhere? I'm missing out... but can you tell me how to d/l this please?

thanks for sharing some incredible music here! Peace

McCannon said...

@Keith Lewis This blog does not contain any links. Try reading the "All archives" sticky post anyway...